Global Action for Environment Awareness Plc. (GAEA) was established in July 2007 with the aim to provide waste management services for municipalities throughout Cambodia and is now operating in four provinces: Siem Reap, Bantey Minchey, Kampong Thom and Kampot.
Since January 2016 the company is going through a reorganization with a double objective: first, standardize its processes in order to better service its customers, second, mitigate the impact on the environment by proposing the practice of more sustainable disposal and waste recovery.
- Raising environmental awareness in cooperation with local authorities and NGO:
- Organize public meetings in villages to educate the community on the impact of waste on health and on the environment and propose solutions to improve waste management in the village;
- Provide educational training in the public schools while burning waste is a common practice in most of the schools of Siem Reap;
- Support Clean City events;
- Train sellers in the markets about using less plastic and sorting organic waste.
- Offering affordable options to collect the garbage of the poor villages using large containers. GAEA coordinates with the chiefs of village to adapt the fee to the revenues of poor households and subsides the garbage collection service.
- Building the infrastructures to start a recycling and composting activity in GAEA new site.
- Propose the design to the Ministry of Environment to develop the first sanitary landfill in Cambodia to respect environment standards.